Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Last night, instead of going to our normal dance class, we went out at night to a place called tipico latino (I know I'm forgetting accents but I don't feel like doing them!), where there is a live band and people dance the typical Latin American dances--Cumbia, Merengue, Bachata (sp?), and more. It was so much fun just to watch the couples dancing there because the dances are beautiful when done correctly. These types of dances are also very different from what I've seen in the bars. There, people usually do "regaton" (sp?), which is much less formal and more more for the younger crowds. The best way to describe the music for that kind of dance is a mix between American house music and Latin American music. I've heard Lady Gaga and Pink in the bars before--so weird!

Anyways, since this place we went to yesterday was more formal, pretty much EVERYONE there were viejos (older people). Definitely not the type of people we would normally be dancing with. It was actually pretty hilarious! But like I said, they were all so good at the dances so we had fun watching. We took our turns dancing too, mostly just within our group. However, some of us did dance with the viejtios! I was sitting there during one of the slower songs and this older man who was probably in his 50s or 60s (notice I said OLDER, not OLD--I don't want to upset anyone with that!) came up and asked me to dance. I was a little hesitant at first but figured that practice is practice and agreed. I later learned that he is from New York, was in Costa Rica on business, and is divorced. He danced much slower than the others, which was good because I definitely did not wear the right dress to go dancing--all that spinning was proving pretty dangerous!

Today we played soccer again. Actually, we've been playing every Tuesday. We're all pretty terrible, especially compared to our Tico friends, but it's still fun and good exercise. However, today I went up against this guy to get a ball and we butted heads, and now I have the fat lip to show for it! Such a bummer.

I do think that my Spanish is improving. I'm definitely not fluent by any means, and I still need people to talk at a slightly slower pace in order to understand, but it is improving nonetheless. My Tico family is even telling me so, so it must be true! I just wish I was here longer so that I could get even better.

That's really all for now--Hasta Luego.

2 comments:

  1. What, no pictures of the fat lip? ;) Glad that's all that happened. Que bueno for you Spanish improving. How cool to have so much fun while learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um, that should be "your". i need to work on my English!

      Delete